RBH Home
  Maps & Travels
  Articles
  Legends
  Towns & Villages
  Castles & Houses
  Churches
  Biographies
  Gentry
  Family History
  Odds & Ends
  Mail David


Old Photograph of Lockinge House -  Nash Ford PublishingLockinge
House

Lockinge, Berkshire

Lockinge House was at East Lockinge, an estate village largely built by Lord Wantage, the building's most famous resident. Both the manor and the house were purchased for his wife as a wedding present from her father, Lord Overstone in 1853.

Old Photograph of Lockinge House -  Nash Ford PublishingIt was a large building, the core of which was a house built by Matthew Wymondsold, the then Lord of the Manor, in about 1750. The three-storey house with side wings faced north and was built of brick and stone. The rooms were panelled with good moulded cornices and there was a mid-18th century  staircase. The hall featured a superb late 17th century oak screen which had come from one of the Guildhalls of a London Livery Company. It was demolished in 1947.
Lockinge House no longer stands. 
 

    Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved.