For a parish with such a small population, it is surprising that Shottesbrooke's manor house has always been so central to the events and characters from the history of Berkshire. The Park is a Tudor brick mansion, probably built for Richard Powle, Registrar of the Court of Chancery in the late 16th century. His cousin's son, Henry Powle, who was Speaker of the House of Commons in 1689, was brought up there. He eventually inherited Shottesbrooke, but preferred his Gloucestershire estates and sold up to William Cherry not long afterward. The latter's son, Francis, the patron of Thomas Hearne, made the house a meeting place of the many local Jacobites, including Henry Dodwell, who opposed the reign of King William III. The building was vastly re-modelled in the late 18th-century, probably under Arthur Vansittart whose brother had purchased the property in 1716. At the beginning of the following century, it was gothicized by the same family through the addition of the embattled parapet and the elegant loggia entrance. Finally, in the mid-20th century, a wing of forty-one 18th century rooms was demolished to form the house we see today. It is still the home of cousins of Vansittart descendants .
Shottesbrooke is a private residence, but may be seen from the adjoining churchyard to which there is public access.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2002. All Rights Reserved.|