& St. Luke's Church
Avington Church is a tiny treasure in itself, almost unchanged since it was built in the 12th century.
It has superb carvings of classic Norman design, with birds heads and zi-zag decorating the south doorway and chancel arch. The chancel may originally have been vaulted. The font, of the same date, is probably the best in the county. It has features thirteen carved figures, amongst them saints, bishops, the Devil tempting Judas Iscariot and the Kiss of the Betrayal.
There only other things of note are some heraldic ledger stones to the James family of Denford Park and the oldest hatchment in Berkshire, to William James (1666).
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved.|