St. Barnabas' Church
The original church at Peasemore is supposed to have been founded by St. Peada, the King of Middle Anglia in the 7th century, but this legend is probably just a guess based on the placename.
The present church is unusually of Victorian blue brick. The tower is older, as an inscription tells us, "1737 Will Coward Gent built ye Tower". The dramatic spire was added in 1842.
The interior is not displeasing, despite the lack of aisles. Particularly delightful are the colourful tiled murals (1911) flanking the altar. They depict The Supper at Emmaus and Christ's charge to St. Peter. There are 18th century wall tablets to the Cowards and the Sellwoods, but the best monument is an heraldic brass to Thomas Stampe (1636). He was a member of a widespread North Berkshire family originally from Cholsey. His wife came from Prior's Court in Chieveley.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved.|