Monument to William Barker
Wall: Marble Floor-Standing Monument
This monument was erected by Lady Reade to her parents, the last of the great Barker family who had been resident in Sonning since the early 16th century. It formerly filled up the southern arch in the Chancel, opposite to the sculptured arch, but was removed to the Lady Chapel in 1852. It represents a female figure strewing flowers over a tomb, and is the work of Sir Richard Westmacott, the distinguished sculptor. It has had several admirers of the decades.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.|