Along with the main entrance gates removed to Benham Park, the eight pairs of elaborate gateposts standing in and around the fields of Hamstead Marshall are all that remain of the once vast mansion of William, the 1st Earl of Craven. Most date from the building of the great house between 1663 and 1697, though some may be later. Quality varies, but all are very striking though they may seem rather out of place. The walls and gardens which they gave entry to have long since disappeared for the house burnt down in1718. Though that latter have been rediscovered using aerial photography.
The pair of
gateposts near the parish
churchyard are the easiest to view.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2004. All Rights Reserved.