from Amen Corner to Temple
This area of Binfield, now well known for its "Mini Zoo" and
the music shop owned by a former-member of the 'Amen Corner' band, has a
most unusual name. It may have been named from the murmurs of local
Baptists returning home from a local chapel, or it may be related to
prayers said while beating the bounds.
The earliest version of the name is Pullingbere. This may be Phol-Bearo
meaning "Balder's Sacred Grove". Balder was the son of Woden
and has been identified with the Celtic Beli. Balder was mostly
worshipped in Swabia, and a reference in a White Waltham Saxon charter
relating to "Swabian's Hollow" in the general area may back up
this idea. Billingbear Park, home of the Neville Lords Braybrooke,
stands just over the parish boundary below Shurlock Row in Waltham
St. Lawrence parish.
The Farley Wood estate was built on the site of Farley Copse Farm in
1989. The roads are all named after old Binfield families. Here is also
Farley Hall, a beautiful and imposing Victorian mansion, now one of the
homes of British Telecom. Strangely, their rivals, Cable and Wireless,
are not far away surrounding Farley Moor Lake (a name first recorded in
the reign of James I) where you can see much waterlife: Ducks, Swans,
Moorhen, Coots, Heron, Egyptian Geese, Canadian Geese and Great Crested
Grebe. The fish are also very large and the wide array of wild flowers
particularly lovely in the Spring. This time of year sometimes brings a
flock of Waxwings to the area. Common in East Anglia, you don't often
see them in the south.
The place is named after the Pope family who made quite an impression on
the area. Pope's Manor was the home of a retired Roman Catholic
linen-draper, the father of the famous writer, Alexander
Pope who also lived there from 1700 until 1716. His father
constantly encouraged Pope to write verse and it was here that he wrote
his famous Rape of the Lock. He described the house as:
A little house
with trees a-row
And like its master, very low.
Temple Park is a very new housing estate built around Park Farm, the
Home Farm of the old Binfield Manor estate. The present house was built
by the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Elder, Earl of Chatham, in
1754 (See Binfield).
The house, and no doubt the parkland too, has seen many literary and
artistic visitors in its time. The Park is now best known for its Blue
Mountain Golf Club. The adjoining Jock's Lane has a reputation for being
haunted, but by whom or what is unclear.
See also Binfield