Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Better than a Kingdom
Park is a Georgian mansion in West Berkshire. It is near Newbury.
- It was built for Lord Craven in 1775. His other
house at Hamstead Marshall had burnt down.
- The architect had help from his father-in-law,
Capability Brown. He was a famous gardener.
- Lord Craven did not get on with his wife. She
went travelling in Europe to get away from him. She had a fun time at the
Court of the Margarve of Anspach. He was a King in Germany.
- When Lord Craven died, his widow married the
Margrave. He sold his kingdom and the two lived at Benham Park instead!
- The House is now offices.