Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
for Catherine of Aragon &
- After her husband died, Princess
Catherine of Aragon was told she must marry his younger brother,
- They were married soon after he
became King Henry VIII and were very happy together.
- Catherine was a great queen. She
looked after the kingdom while Henry was abroad. She went to war
against the Scots and won the Battle of Flodden Field in
Northumberland. The rich cloth merchant called Jack of Newbury sent
soldiers to fight there, but they turned up too late!
- However, it was difficult for
Catherine to have children. She produced one daughter who lived and no
sons. A son was needed to inherit the throne.
- People said this marriage was
cursed because you shouldn’t marry your dead husband’s brother.
- Henry VIII decided he wanted to
marry a lady called Anne Boleyn instead. Catherine was sent to stay at
Easthampstead Park, near Bracknell.
- The Catholic Pope would not give
the King a divorce. So Henry created a new religion called ‘The
Church of England’ and granted his own divorce.
- Poor Catherine never saw her
daughter again. She died in poverty in Huntingdonshire.
Click to find out What