Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Traditional British Punismanet
- In Britain, criminals were executed by
hanging them on the end of a rope.
- This was slow and painful. The victim
could hang for some time before they died. If they were lucky, the fall
would break their neck immediately.
- Very bad criminals were often hung, drawn
- First they were hung and cut down while
still alive. Argh!
- Then they were put on a 'rack'. Their
feet were tied to one end and hands to the other and they were
stretched or drawn out. Ow!
- They would then be cut open while still
alive. Usually, all their insides would be taken out and burnt before
their eyes. This would kill them. Ooo!
- Lastly, their dead body was cut up into
four quarters. Usually, each part was taken to a different part of the
country and displayed as a warning to others.