Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Traditional British Punismanet
- In Britain, criminals were executed by
hanging them on the end of a rope.
- This was slow and painful. The victim
could hang for some time before they died. If they were lucky, the fall
would break their neck immediately.
- Very bad criminals were often hung, drawn
- First they were hung and cut down while
still alive. Argh!
- Then they were cut open and their
internal organs were drawn out of them and burnt before their eyes.
This would kill them. Ooo!
- Lastly, their dead body was cut up into
four quarters. Usually, each part was taken to a different part of the
country and displayed as a warning to others.