Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
of Ockwells Manor - looking
towards the screens passage
- This picture is looking towards the
screens passage in the great hall of Ockwells
Manor at Cox Green near Maidenhead.
The great hall was eating in and for meeting and entertaining guests.
- The screens passage is behind the wooden
screen with the two doors in it. It is a corridor running from the
front door on the right to the entrance to the cloister running round
the inner courtyard on the left.
- You can see a servant bringing in some
food from the kitchen at the other end of the cloister. he is wearing
the livery of the Norreys family.
- There is a gallery over the screens
could entertain Sir John Norreys and
his family from up there. What the people in the picture playing?
- The is a fire place just out of the
picture on the right. this would keep everybody warm.
- On the left, you can see people eating.
These are members of Sir John's household (people who worked in his
house and on his land) or not very important guests.
- Important guests and Sir John and his
family sit at the other end of the hall. You can see Sir John's jester
trying to make them laugh. Click here to turn around and see them all.