Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Best Gothic House in the County
- Ockwells is
a Medieval timber-framed manor house in East Berkshire. It is at Cox
Green near Maidenhead.
- The land on which it stands was given to
Richard Norreys in 1283. He was Queen Eleanor's cook!
- The house was built for his descendant,
Sir John Norreys, in about 1450. It is a medieval hall
- He filled the windows with expensive
stained glass. They show the coats of arms of his friends, King Henry
VI and his court.
- This was very embarrassing when he had to
change sides in the War of the Roses.
- A later Sir John Norreys murdered a man
from Nettlebed in Oxfordshire! Because he was rich, he got away with
it, but Ockwells was confiscated.