Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where Monks Worshipped
- The monks held services here in
praise of God.
- They prayed
- They held mass
- They chanted (like singing hymns)
- They had to stand up most of
the time, but had ledges called 'misericords' to rest their bums
- Important people were buried
- Holy relics were kept here.
- They were kept in big stone
'shrines' or small golden 'reliquaries'
- Reading Abbey had the hand
of St. James. Its reliquary was probably shaped like a hand.
- Pilgrims came to see the relics
in large numbers
- There were many little chapels
here in which to pray to particular saints.
- Decoration was used to praise God. It could also be used to teach Bible stories.
- The church did not only have
decorative carvings, but they were brightly painted. There were big
wall-paintings too. All churches were like this in medieval times, but
the paint has now worn away.