Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where Monks Met
- The monks met here every day at
- They sat on seats around the
- The abbot stood in the centre
and spoke to them all.
- They were read a chapter from
the 'Rules of St. Benedict' which they lived by.
- They talked about the running of
the monastery and its lands, and work that needed to be done.
- Monks could confess if they'd
been bad and a suitable punishment would be given to them.
- Abbey tenants (who rented farms)
and other people could come and talk to the monks at these meetings.
- Sometimes important abbots were
buried under the floor in the Chapter House!