Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where Monks Walked
- This was the main route for
getting between different parts of the monastery.
- The monks could walk and talk
here. Exercise was important.
- In the winter, they were allowed
into the WARMING ROOM which had a big fire.
- They could sit in alcoves in the
cloister and copy or illuminate manuscripts.
- The novices might be taught here
- There was usually a long basin called
a LAVATORIUM. It was for washing in the morning & before meals. This
is where the word 'Lavatory' comes from - although that is used for
something slightly different!