Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where the Monks could meet the
- Most monasteries in towns had a forbury.
- The name means the 'borough in front'.
- It was a large area of open land or
sometimes a street.
- It might be inside or outside the abbey
- The monks and the townsfolk could mix
freely together here.
- It could be used to hold markets or fairs
(annual markets, like May Fairs); or processions and religious celebrations.
- Strolling players might put on 'Mystery Plays' here telling
stories from the Bible.
- The Forbury at Reading
is still a public park today.