Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Which kept the Monks Separate
- There were several gateways in an
- They separated the monks in the
abbey 'enclave' from the people in the outside world.
- They would be strong buildings with
huge wooden doors.
- A monk called the 'porter' looked
after each gate. He sat in a room within the gateway watching
who was coming and going. He decided whether to let them in or
out, or not.
- The main rooms in the gateway could
be used for lots of things. One at Reading
Abbey was a prison.
- The gateway at Abingdon
Abbey can still be seen today, next to St. Nicholas' Church.