Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
People from Across the Sea
- The Vikings were the people of
- They lived across the North Sea, in
Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
- They were excellent sailors and could
travel great distances on the sea. Their ships had frightening dragons
carved on the front.
- They were also great warriors and were
very violent in battle.
- They raided England, Scotland & Wales
for many years,
murdering the people and stealing gold and jewels, particularly from monasteries.
- The Vikings were Pagans.
- In the 9th century, huge armies of Viking
warriors invaded Britain. They took over most of the North of England
and parts of Northern Scotland, but were driven out of Wales.
- Their families joined them and they
settled down as farmers.
- Another Viking army invaded England in
the 11th century. The English were defeated and the Viking leader,
Canute, became King of England for a while.