Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
The Poor Girl who lived in a
- Nell was a poor girl from
Hereford who sold oranges to theatre-goers in Drury Lane in London.
- In the 1660s, she became an
actress in the theatre at the age of only 15.
- She was very good and became
- Later, King Charles II used to
watch her perform.
- Nell became the King’s
girlfriend, even though he was already married.
- Nell lived in London and in Sunninghill
and Windsor, to be near the King.
- King Charles gave her a big
mansion in Windsor called ‘Burford House’. She lived in luxury
there for many years.
- Nell and the King had two sons
together. Their eldest son became Duke of St. Albans.
- When the King died, his last
words to his brother, the new king, were "Let not poor Nelly
- Nell died when she was only 37.