Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where Monks were Buried
- This is where the monks were buried after
- It was quiet and peaceful and at the east
end of the abbey church, where it could
face towards the holy city of Jerusalem in the Middle East.
- There were graves in rows, but people did
not have gravestones in medieval times.
- Instead, each dead monk had a plain
wooden cross with his name written on it.
- It was also near the Infirmary,
so that if sick people died, the monks didn't have to carry their
heavy bodies very far!