Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Where Monks went when they were
was the abbey's hospital.
- It had lots of beds for the sick people.
These might be monks, or abbey tenants or other people in need of
- It was built away from the rest of the
abbey, so that the monks would not catch nasty diseases from the sick
- The building had its own chapel, so that
the sick people did not have to go to the main
church to pray.
- There was a herb garden nearby, from
which to make medicines.
- It was near the cemetery,
so that if sick people died, the monks didn't have to carry their
heavy bodies very far!