Maps & Travels
Towns & Villages
Castles & Houses
Odds & Ends
Predecessor of St. George's
first chapel at Windsor Castle was built by King Henry
II in the 1240s. It was a small building on the site of the
Albert Memorial Chapel, at the east end of today's St.
George's Chapel. It was dedicated to (named after) St. Edward
of the walls still exist. So do the wooden doors! They are
painted red and covered with beautiful gilded (gold covered)
ironwork decoration (see picture).
1348, King Edward
III set up the Order
of the Garter for the best knights in the land. He had the
chapel rebuilt so that they could meet there. He also set up a
college of canons to look after it (like a monastery
for vicars - not big guns!).
are still canons (vicars) there today and the buildings that the
King built for them are too. This includes two cloisters
(gardens with roofed walkways around them).
chapel had choir stalls (posh seats) for every Knight of the
Garter. Fixed to the back of the seats were their 'stall plates'
(brass plates showing their coats of arms). Some of the first
ones of these can still be seen in the chapel today.
time, the chapel became dedicated to St. George. He was the
patron saint of soldiers, and of England. Lots of Royal marriages
and christenings have took place there.
King Edward IV built a much
bigger chapel instead. It is the one that stands in the