RBH Home
  Maps & Travels
  Articles
  Legends
  Towns & Villages
  Castles & Houses
  Churches
  Biographies
  Gentry
  Family History
  Odds & Ends
  Mail David

 


Sonning Church
Some Interesting Monuments

Much of the historical interest of Sonning Church lies in the monuments to the good and the great who lie interred within its walls. Being such a large parish, there were many great houses within the church's catchment area whose residents saw fit to raise, to their memories, handsome monuments adorned with both their portraits and their coats of arms. The building has thus become a treasure house for the student of costume and heraldry.

Many monuments were moved from their original position during the major restoration works undertaken in 1852; and a number have, sadly, been lost completely, as revealed by Elias Ashmole in his "Antiquities of Berkshire" (1664).

In the Choir
On the floor of the choir are monumental brasses to members of the Barker (Anthony 1546, William 1549, William 1575, Anthony 1639), Fitton, Staverton, Frognall & Chute families. The Barker brasses were once to be found in the chancel and their burial vault lies beneath.

In the North Aisle
On the wall are monuments to members of the Hubbard, Knyvett, Bagnall, Roberts, Clarke, Williams & Blagrave families, as well as to Lord Stowell, Viscountess Sidmouth, Canon Pearson & Robert Wright, the Bishop of Bristol & Lichfield and sometime (1605) Vicar of Sonning. On the floor of the North Aisle are monumental slabs to members of the Billinghurst, Payn(e), Wilder, Corbett & Hooke families. The eastern chapel, now occupied by the vestry, was dedicated to the Blagrave family and their burial vault lies beneath.

In the South Aisle
On the wall are monuments to members of the Rich, Barker, Litcott, Witherington, Woodroffe, Clifford & Golding(e) families. On the floor of the South Aisle are monumental slabs to members of the Cockayne, Clifford, Payn(e) & Golding(e) families, as well as Lord Stowell & Viscountess Sidmouth. The eastern chapel, now occupied by the organ, was dedicated to the Rich family and their burial vault lies beneath.

On the West Wall
The west wall bears monuments to members of the Knyvett & Palmer families. Under the Tower is a monument to Sir Thomas Rich.

 
 

    Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.